At South & City College Birmingham, we are guided by our core values. These are grounded in our commitment to equality, diversity, and respect for all.
We are proud of the diversity of our college community. We continually strive to be a socially inclusive organisation that recognises, values, and celebrates differences – where individuality drives empowerment, and where everyone can achieve their full potential.
We are proud that our College is an inclusive learning environment. We believe that everyone should be treated fairly, with dignity and respect. We work hard to foster and maintain a welcoming, safe and supportive environment in which to work and study.
We are proud to welcome all who would benefit from the opportunity to study, or be trained, at the college – irrespective of their backgrounds.
We are proud of the culture of respect within our College. We are opposed to all forms of violent, abusive and discriminatory behaviour. We work conscientiously to tackle inequality and promote diversity for all protected characteristics based on age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion and belief, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership.
1. To create a discrimination-free environment
2. To challenge inequality and discrimination
3. To embrace and celebrate the diversity of our staff, students, and local communities
4. To promote equality within our policies, procedures, plans, and practices
5. To ensure that equality and diversity are successfully embedded within our teaching
6. To make sure that our student body and workforce reflect the diverse communities within Birmingham and beyond
7. To implement professional development for staff, to ensure that they respond effectively to the aims of the Equality Act
8. To provide an environment where difference is respected and celebrated
9. To meet the needs of all students, and make reasonable adjustments to specific needs
We are dedicated to advancing equality, diversity, and inclusion throughout the College. We celebrate all cultures and communities through our actions, activities, and events.
South & City College Birmingham has a good reputation for building strong relationships with – and meeting the needs of – those within our local community.
We are proud to hold the Rainbow Flag Award, a national quality assurance framework for schools and youth-centred organisations. It focuses on inclusion and visibility for members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and demonstrates our commitment to celebrating all of the identities and orientations within South & City College Birmingham.
Our Students’ Union is here to make sure that your voice is heard. It’s made up of student representatives – your fellow learners – who work hard to provide you with support and any services you may require during your time at South & City College Birmingham.