Are you looking to recruit? We can support you at no cost.
Sector-based work programmes (SWAPs) are a great way to create a skilled workforce for your business. These programmes are designed to help meet your immediate and future recruitment needs, as well as to recruit a workforce with the right skills to sustain and grow your business.
Ranging between 4 and 6 weeks in length, SWAPs are designed to help those on unemployment benefits to apply for jobs in different areas of work. Students will remain on their benefit throughout the training, and may be able to access support with travel costs and other expenses through their local Jobcentre.
The sector-based programme is up to 6 weeks, including work placement with the company, and consists of:
• pre-employment training – relevant to the needs of your business sector
• work experience placement – of great benefit to the individual and a business
• a guaranteed job interview
How can my business benefit from SWAPs?
There are loads of ways your business can benefit from being part of a SWAP:
• this is a flexible programme that can be tailored to meet your recruitment needs
• you can recruit staff with the right training and skills from the outset, developed through fully-funded pre-employment training
• an opportunity to provide work experience placements for potential employees to ensure they are suited to that type of role and your company
• work experience placements allow developmental opportunities for existing employees, for example by working on their mentoring, supervisory and coaching skills
• reduces the risks within the overall process of recruiting new employees
• an opportunity for positive publicity to show how like-minded businesses are working together to meet their social responsibilities
What is the recruitment process?
The vacancy is advertised with the Jobcentre and also sent out to community partners. The college has a hotline which is open for 2 weeks, allowing work coaches to refer their claimants, after which a phone assessment is done with the individual to check their suitability against the employer requirements.
Successful candidates are invited in for an assessment day the following week, for which the employer will be fully involved. Assessment will include English and maths, communication and team building.
The courses will start the following week with online learning, while the placement can last anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks, followed by interview.
What is the criteria for students?
Pre-employment training and sector-based work academies are free if you are:
• over 19 years of age on 31/08/2020 and actively seeking employment
• in receipt of Universal Credit, Job Seekers Allowance, or Employment Support Allowance (Work Related Activity Group)
• earning less than £17,004 annual gross salary (you will need to provide evidence of annual salary, eg three months’ payslips, Universal Credit statement, employment contract)
Where to get further information