Under 19?

If you are under 19, your education is free so you don't have to pay any fees for your course. To help with the costs of travel, books, trips and more see below.

Learner Support Fund

If you live in a household with low income or on benefits, you may be eligible to apply for Learner Support Fund. This can help with expenses such as childcare, equipment and enrichment (trips etc.)

Bonus Scheme

There is a bonus scheme available for students, based on good attendance, progress and behaviour.


Bus passes are available to those who are meet the eligibility criteria. Student services will be able to help you.  All young learners who are under the age of 18 on 1 September 2012 should apply for the 16 – 18 Centro Card which entitles them to child rate fares or bus passes.

Vulnerable Persons Bursary Scheme

This scheme financially supports young learners who face the greatest barriers to learning.  If you are under 19 and:

  • Live independently AND are in receipt of income support
  • Are under the care of social services or are care leavers
  • Are claiming DLA and ESA

Then you may be entitled to Vulnerable Persons Bursary Scheme.


Care to Learn

If you are under 20 when you begin your studies and use registered childcare you may be able to get assistance with childcare costs from Care to Learn (Please note external funding is subject to change). Care to Learn can be contacted on 0800 121 8989.

If you are over 20, are in receipt of benefits or on a low income, then you may be entitled to financial help with childcare fees. Student services will tell you more.

Other financial support

There may be other funds to help you with travel, childcare and hardship dependent on eligibility.

For example:

  • Career Development Loans
  • Student finance for higher education
  • Care to Learn (under 20 years)
  • FE Loans (expected March 2012)

Fees Policy

You can download our Fees Policy with the link below:
Download Fee Policy

Higher education students

If you are on a higher education course such as a foundation degree, HND or HNC, you cannot access the same funding as other students at the college but there is still information, advice and support available. If you have problems with Student Loans or need to apply to the Access to Learning Fund (ALF) for extra money please contact student services team.

Careers advisers can also help you to consider progression into employment and study after your course.

National Express Bursaries

If you are aged 16-18 and studying full time, you may be able to apply to the National Express Bursaries Fund for help with things like:

  • Travel
  • Purchase of books and additional equipment not covered by the discretionary learners support fund
  • IT and internet connections
  • General living costs associated with being in education

For an application form, contact student services at the campus where you are studying.

For more information on all of the above schemes, our student services team will be able to help you. Visit them at one of our open days or call 0800 611 6311.

Enquire Now

Are you undecided about your next step? We can help you choose the right course for you.

Enquire Now

Comment Card

We welcome your comments, suggestions or compliments. Just use the link below to fill in a comment card.

Comment Card

Download our complaints form and complaints procedure

customer service
investors in people
disability confident
british council