The Extended Diploma is a two-year, full-time course for learners who want to progress to higher education courses in business areas before entering employment. You will study and examine major businesses such as McDonalds, Amazon, Coco-Cola, Apple and Tesco. It is equivalent in size to three A Levels and has been designed as a full two-year programme. Learners who wish to take this qualification will have successfully completed a Level 2 programme of learning with GCSEs or vocational qualifications. The qualification aims to provide a wide-ranging study of the sector. It is primarily designed for learners studying full time in the 16–19 age group, who wish to pursue a career in business, primarily via higher education to access graduate entry employment with businesses, or alternatively through junior business employment. It can also support learners who want to progress directly to employment in job roles in business or business management and Higher Apprenticeships in the business sector.
You will need to complete 13 units consisting of 7 mandatory units and 6 optional units. 4 of the mandatory units are assessed externally.
• Exploring business In this unit, you will gain an overview of the key ingredients for business success, how businesses are organised, how they communicate, the characteristics of the environment in which they operate, and how this shapes them and their activities. You will also look at the importance of innovation and enterprise to the success and survival of businesses.
• Developing a marketing campaign (externally assessed) Marketing is a dynamic field central to the success of any business. You will gain an understanding of how a marketing campaign is developed. You will explore different stages of the process that a business goes through when developing its campaign and develop your own campaign for a given product/service.
• Personal and business finance (externally assessed) This unit will provide a foundation for a number of other finance and business units and will help you to analyse profitability, liquidity and business efficiency. It will give you the knowledge and understanding to manage your personal finances and will give you a background to business finance and accounting as you progress to employment or further training.
• Managing an event This unit will develop your teamwork, communication, time-management, negotiation and problem solving skills. It will help you develop the essential transferable skills that employers look for. The unit will provide a useful opportunity to consider whether to pursue a career in events management or to continue on to further study in this area.
• International business This unit will give you a greater understanding of the global business environment, which will help your career choices. The unit also gives you the skills and a firm basis to undertake advanced or specialist studies in international business at higher education level.
You will need 5 GCSEs at Grade 5 or above. These must include English and Maths or a Level 2 qualification including GCSE English and Maths.
This qualification carries UCAS points and you can progress onto a higher education course at the college, such as a business related HND, or a business related university degree. You can also progress onto an Apprenticeship or seek employment in the sector.
Students who have completed this qualification have progressed onto Higher Education programmes at the college (HNDs in Business and Management, Business and Marketing, Business and Accounting) and degree programmes, for example:
• BSc (Hons) in Business and Management
• BA (Hons) in Business and Finance
• BA (Hons) in Business with Human Resource Management
• BA (Hons) and BSc(Hons) in Business Studies
• BSc (Hons) in International Management
• BSc (Hons) or BA (Hons) in Marketing
• BSc (Hons) in Retail Management. Learners should always check the entry requirements for degree programmes with specific higher education providers.
This course is part of the government funded Lifelong Learning Guarantee and is available free of charge to adult learners aged 19+ without a first full level 3 qualification.
See the West Midlands Combined Authority website for full eligibility criteria here.
Please contact our admissions team for the cost if you do not meet the criteria and we will confirm the fee.