The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business is an Applied General qualification. It is for post-16 learners who want to continue their education through applied learning and aim to progress to higher education and ultimately employment in the business sector. The qualification is equivalent to two A Levels and has been designed as a full two-year programme. It can also support learners who want to progress directly to employment in job roles in business or business management and Higher Apprenticeships in the business sector. You will study and examine major businesses such as McDonalds, Amazon, Coco-Cola, Apple, Tesco and other businesses you will be familiar with. The qualification gives learners the knowledge, understanding and skills that underpin the business sector and will prepare them for further study or training.
You will need to complete 8 units, consisting of 6 mandatory units and 2 optional units. Three of the mandatory units are assessed externally. You must complete and achieve at Near Pass grade or above in all mandatory external units. You must complete all three mandatory internal units and achieve a Pass or above in at least two units.
• Exploring business In this unit, you will gain an overview of the key ingredients for business success, how businesses are organised, how they communicate, the characteristics of the environment in which they operate, and how this shapes them and their activities. You will also look at the importance of innovation and enterprise to the success and survival of businesses
• Developing a marketing campaign (externally assessed) Marketing is a dynamic field central to the success of any business. You will gain an understanding of how a marketing campaign is developed. You will explore different stages of the process that a business goes through when developing its campaign and develop your own campaign for a given product/service.
• Personal and business finance (externally assessed) This unit will provide a foundation for a number of other finance and business units and will help you to analyse profitability, liquidity and business efficiency. It will give you the knowledge and understanding to manage your personal finances and will give you a background to business finance and accounting as you progress to employment or further training
• Managing an event This unit will develop your teamwork, communication, time-management, negotiation and problem solving skills. It will help you develop the essential transferable skills that employers look for. The unit will provide a useful opportunity to consider whether to pursue a career in events management or to continue on to further study in this area.
• International business This unit will give you a greater understanding of the global business environ
You will need 4 x GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English or maths, or a Level 2 qualification. You must have passed either GCSE English or Maths at Grade 4 or above to be able to come onto this course.
The qualification is recognised by higher education institutions as fully meeting admission requirements to many relevant courses in a variety of areas. You can progress onto a higher education course at the college such as a business related HND, or complete a business related university degree. You can also progress onto an Apprenticeship or seek employment in the sector.
Students who have completed this qualification have progressed onto Higher Education Programmes at the college (HNDs in Business and Management, Business and Marketing, Business and Accounting) and degree programmes at the following universities:
• University of Birmingham
• Aston University
• Newman University
• Birmingham City University
• Wolverhampton University
• Coventry University
• University College Birmingham
• Manchester Metropolitan University
This course is part of the government funded Lifelong Learning Guarantee and is available free of charge to adult learners aged 19+ without a first full level 3 qualification.
See the West Midlands Combined Authority website for full eligibility criteria here.
Please contact our admissions team for the cost if you do not meet the criteria and we will confirm the fee.