You will study theoretical aspects of the subject and apply them to practical tasks. This course includes tutorials, mandatory work experience and workshops to add to your learning experience for example: Sleek make-up and Orly workshops to name a few. You will have the opportunity to attend external events which have included MAC head office, Covent Gardens, WorldSkills Live, Salon International, Blackpool Winter Gardens and The Beauty Show at the NEC.
To achieve the Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy, you must successfully complete the mandatory assessment components, a theory exam and practical assessments for each unit. In addition, you must achieve the mandatory employer involvement requirement for 16-18 learners
You will work with local employers who will contribute to the knowledge and delivery of training. The different ways in which college could support your learning, by working with both local and national beauty salons, include:
• Structured work-experience or work placements
• Your attendance at classes or lectures given by industry experts
• Employers input into projects and exercises
• Employers who act as ‘expert witnesses' to contribute to the assessment of your work. This maybe on occasions outside of your college timetable You will need beauty therapy equipment at the cost of approximately £300(subject to change) which includes a uniform. The equipment is ordered through the college at the time of enrolment, you may make an application to the learner support fund for help towards the cost; this award is subject to your individual circumstances. If you are not eligible for learning support fund you will be liable for the full cost of the equipment. Uniform in the salons is compulsory and consists of the tunic top and trousers supplied in your equipment. You must supply your own plain black shoes with a closed toe and heel (strictly no trainers). Study programme 16-18 yrs. only This course is year 1 of the study programme depe
To achieve the Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy you must successfully complete the mandatory assessment components these are on-line exams and practical assessments:
• Health and safety
• Client care and communication
• Promote service and products
• Provide facial skin care
• Remove hair using waxing techniques
• Provide manicure treatments
• Provide pedicure treatments
• Provide lash and brow treatments
• Apply makeup
You may have current and continued work experience in a beauty/nail salon, by which you can enrol onto the course upon a successful interview. Due to the externally set and externally marked exam, you will need to complete an initial assessment for Level 1 English, GCSE grade 3 or above in English language or Entry Level 3 or above in Functional Skills.
On successful completion you can progress onto the Level 3 Qualification in General Beauty Therapy or the Level 2 Certificate in Makeup Artistry
The Level 2 VRQ Certificate in Beauty Therapy could lead to a job as a beauty therapist working in one of the following establishments:
• Beauty salon
• Cruise ship
• Hotel This qualification is supported by BABTAC who are a Professional Association for the industry.