This qualification will cover the art of makeup application, creative makeup and face and body painting and hair artistry. The job roles you will be able to apply for after this course include: a freelance makeup artist for special occasions, you could also work on the concession counters in department stores. You will train in our purpose built makeup studios and hair salons and we are stockists for high-end makeup brands for example Mac, Kryolan, Sleek hair brands Milkshake, and Wella. You will be encouraged to participate in workshops with employers for example Kryolan makeup workshop. You will be able to take advantage of work placements. Previous examples include This Morning Live at the NEC, Scarefest in Gloucester and the Skills Show.
To achieve the Level 2 Certificate in Make-up Artistry, you must successfully complete the mandatory assessment components these are, theory exam - synoptic assignment (practical assessment). In addition, you must achieve employer involvement requirement for this qualification before you can be awarded a qualification grade.
You will need a hair and makeup kit and the cost is approx. £200 (subject to change) which includes a uniform. The equipment is ordered through the college at the time of enrolment, you may make an application to the learner support fund for help towards the cost and this award is subject to your individual circumstances. If you are not eligible for learning support fund you will be liable for the full cost of the equipment. Uniform in the salons is compulsory and this consists of the tunic top and trousers supplied in your equipment, you must supply yourself, plain black shoes with a closed in toe and heel (strictly no trainers).
Students interested in the Level 2 Certificate in Hair and Make-up Artistry will study theoretical aspects of the subject and apply them to practical tasks.
Compulsory topics include:
• Working in the make-up industry
• Anatomy & physiology
• Research, develop and showcase designs
• The art of applying makeup
• Hair artistry
• Creative make-up artistry Study programme for 16-18 yrs. ONLY This course is the year 1 of the study programme depending on your GCSE results. If you did not achieve a grade 4 GCSE in English and maths, you will need to complete either GCSE or Functional Skills at the appropriate level. The level you will complete is based on your GCSE grades or previous achievement at Functional Skills. You will need to bring proof of your grades in induction either the statement of achievement or your certificates. Your course also includes tutorial, mandatory work experience and workshops. You will have the opportunity to attend external events including the Skills Show, Salon Inter
You will need to complete an initial assessment for Level 1 English, GCSE grade 3 or above in English language or Entry Level 3 or above in Functional Skills.
This qualification could lead to a job as a make-up artist working in one of the following establishments:
• Photo shoots
• Magazine and publication shoots
• Department stores
• Make-up stores
• Salon To enhance your career prospects you would could progress onto Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical, Special Effects and Media Make-up