You will get hands on experience in the laboratory where you will develop your scientific skills. In chemistry you will learn to identify and analyse solutions and compounds. In physics you will undertake experiments involving electricity, circuits, forces and more. In biology you will learn about foods, grow bacterial cultures, test plant tissue for DNA and look at disease. You will also attend English and maths classes as part of the programme and have weekly tutorials to support you. You will be assessed throughout the course by assignments, coursework and exams. You will also be required to take part in work experience in a science related field.
The units you may cover will be taken from the following units:
• Principles of applied science (externally assessed)
• Chemistry and our earth
• Energy and our universe
• Biology and our environment
• Applications of physical science
• Applications of chemical substances
• Health applications of life science
• Scientific skills (externally assessed)
• The living body
• Investigating a crime scene
• Chemical analysis and detection
• Exploring our universe
Students will need to have one of the following:-
• A BTEC Foundation Certificate in a related subject and GCSE maths & English at Grade 3.
• Four GCSEs at grade 3 including: maths English and science Students who do not meet this criteria may enrol on the Level 1 course where you will complete an Introductory Diploma in Science as well as a qualification in digital skills. All students will also be required to attend and satisfactorily complete a formal induction period.
Students who achieve merits and distinctions and successfully complete maths and English at Grade 4 or above, will be able to progress onto the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in applied science/technology. In addition to grade 4 in English, students who achieve a grade 5 in Maths & Science can progress to the new T level in Health & Science (Lab Science). Alternatively, you may want to progress into employment such as an assistant technician, lab assistant or an apprenticeship in lab science.