The Sport NCFE Level 3 National Diploma enables you to learn about the theory behind sport in great depth. You will have the opportunity to gain experience for use in the workplace or as a stepping stone to higher education. The variety of subjects will enable you to study most areas of sport and will help you decide which field you wish to work towards.
You will cover a range of units which will be assessed in a number of different ways:
• Internal assignments: Work-related assignments set and marked by the centre
• External Tasks: Practical, work-related tasks, set and marked by Pearson
• Written exams: Written answers to practical questions set and marked by Pearson
• Synoptic units: You can demonstrate your application of skills, knowledge and techniques learned The following units are mandatory:
• Anatomy and physiology
• Fitness training and programming for health sports and well-being
• Investigating Business in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
• Skill acquisition in sport
• Sports leadership
• Practical sports performance
• Coaching for sports performance
• Application of fitness testing GCSE English and maths resit is mandatory if you do not have grade 4/C as part of your study programme.
You are expected to have 3 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above, one of which must be English language or Maths, or NCFE First Diploma (Merit or Distinction) together with a grade 4/C in English Language. All applicants must have a good reference.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress onto the Sports Coaching and Development Foundation Degree at the Longbridge (Bournville College) campus or progress onto higher education programmes at other institutions, for example Sports Studies, Sports Management or Sports Science. It also opens opportunities for students to apply for work in areas similar to subjects studied such as nutrition.