Standard in Tramway Construction Operative
This occupation is found in the tramway and light rail construction sector. The broad purpose of the occupation is to prepare and deliver a high standard of technical work relating to the construction and renewal of the Tramway and the Tramway environment.
In their daily work, an employee in this occupation interacts with a team and reports to a site supervisor or team leader. The role may interact with others working on the construction and renewal of the Tramway, such as those conducting site surveys, engineers, designers and installing the overhead lines etc.
Types of employers range between private companies, local authorities, councils etc. An employee in this occupation will be responsible for activities relating to the construction and renewal of the Tramway. This includes setting up and maintaining a temporary traffic management system including assisting stakeholders with access and deliveries, lifting and moving large and irregular shaped loads, installing and removing temporary works, using a range of hand held tools, equipment and items of plant and being able to carry out site clearance activities such as the removal of waste items and the storage of reusable materials and components.
Whilst undertaking these activities, operatives are expected to adhere to strict codes of conduct and safe working practices including wearing the appropriate personal protective equipment, following the correct safe systems and taking action to minimise risk to self and others.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation and with health and safety of our students as a priority, we have redesigned this course to be delivered online as much as possible.
What areas will I study?
- Follow instructions and take responsibility for minimising risk and ensuring own safety and the safety of the team
- Set up and maintain a temporary traffic management system
- Lift, move and install large and irregular shaped loads
- Install reinforced concrete (such as tram stops, retaining walls, platforms, ducting and drainage)
- Lay tarmac, kerbs and channels
- Locate, dig and excavate buried utility services
- Assist with installing light rail track, points, switches and crossing
- Assist with installing steelwork structures such as OLE (Overhead Line Equipment)
- Carry out site clearance activities and ensure all equipment is secure and safe
- Identify, deal with and report issues and problems
- Provide assistance to customers and members of the public