Our Level 1 programme brings to life core engineering subjects focussing on electrical and electronic engineering. You will experience an interactive way of learning. Practical and experimental classes offer you hands-on experience to complement your course's more theoretical modules, while innovative design-build-test projects replace the more traditional lesson and lab sessions.
The aim of this course is to develop your basic skills and knowledge to allow you to progress into a career in the engineering industry or to a higher level course. The programme comprises modules involving practical work and essential knowledge related to engineering.
- Working safely in engineering
- Developing skills in making engineering components using hand tools
- Developing skills in using a bench/pedestal drilling machine
- Developing skills in electronic assembly
- Developing skills in wiring electrical circuits and components
- Developing skills in routine servicing of an electrical/electronic system
- Starting work in engineering
- Working in a team
- Interpreting and using engineering information
- Engineering marking out
Students who have qualifications at Entry Level and/or GCSE at grade 3 or above for English Language and maths as well as two other GCSEs grade 2 or above will be considered. Students must be able to work towards a Level 1 qualification in maths and English Language. All students will also be required to attend and satisfactorily complete a formal induction period.
Students who successfully complete this programme will be eligible to apply for the Level 2 BTEC First Diploma in Engineering. Alternatively, students can progress onto employment.