This course is for 25 hours per week for international students who have a conditional offer for University study, with one of our partner universities, but do not currently meet the English language requirements.
The aim of the course is to develop English language skills, especially the academic language and skills needed for higher level study.
IELTS: 4.0 - 7.0, CEFR: B1-C1
This course is designed to prepare you for higher level study in the UK at university. It will help you to improve your general English, especially the academic language and skills you need for writing assignments, taking part in discussions, listening and note taking in lectures and reading academic texts.
It will help you to communicate more effectively in academic situations across the four language skills areas: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Alongside developing language skills the course aims to help you integrate more fully into UK society by increasing your awareness of British culture.
- Initial assessment to find out your starting level – this combined with the IELTS score you require for further study will determine how long you need to study
- An individual learning plan will be created for you
- Regular assessments, tutorials and reviews to monitor your progress. To successfully complete the pre-sessional course you will need to meet the entry requirements of our partner universities. This will involve sitting a set of course assessments and a contributory final assessment
You will learn:
- Study skills – such as effective note taking, research skills
- The four academic English skills
- Communicating in academic situations
- Academic vocabulary
- College certified end of year assessments (university verified) and reports
- Embassy student progress reports
- Cambridge English qualifications - optional
Teaching methods will include:
- IELTS style weekly tests
- Group discussions and debates
- Ongoing assessment progress reviews
25 hours per week is the recommended tuition for successful completion. Alternative arrangements (i.e. 21 hours) by negotiation with the International Team.
You should be over 18 years of age Recent IELTS certificate at B1 and above in all 4 components Short-term Study Visa (11 months) - Initial Assessment in UK Tier 4 - expected to hold conditional offer for partner university, IELTS certificate (minimum B1 for visa)
On successful completion of this programme you will be able to access university level courses at a number of institutions in the UK.