English (AQA) GCSE English Language
The study of GCSE English will ensure that students can read fluently and write effectively. Students will be able to demonstrate a confident control of Standard English and write grammatically correct sentences, use figurative language and analyse texts from 19th, 20th and 21st centuries.
GCSE English Language is designed on the basis that students should read and be assessed on high-quality, challenging texts from the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. Each text studied must represent a substantial piece of writing, making significant demands on students in terms of content, structure and the quality of language. The texts, across a range of genres and types, should support students in developing their own writing by providing effective models. The texts must include literature and extended literary non-fiction, and other writing such as essays, reviews and journalism (both printed and online).
Our GCSE English course teaches English language only. There is no formal literature component. Qualifications are awarded by AQA and grades will be awarded in the range of 1 to 9. The completion of speaking and listening activities is a key and compulsory component of this course. Assessment is by two nationally set exams, there is no longer coursework.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation and with health and safety of our students as a priority, we have redesigned this course to include a mixture of classroom-based and online learning.
What areas will I study?
A GCSE in English language will enable you to:
- Read a wide range of texts fluently and with good understanding
- Read critically and use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve their own writing
- Write effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately
- Use grammar correctly, punctuate and spell accurately
- Acquire and apply a wide vocabulary, alongside a knowledge and understanding of grammatical terminology and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- Listen to and understand spoken language, and use spoken Standard English effectively