Switch on to Learning - Subject Options
This is a part-time course at Entry 1 - Entry 2 Level, for students who want to re-engage with learning.
There are a variety options to choose from - you may be able to choose up to more than one or combine with the Brush up English and Maths courses, up to a maximum of 6 sessions/3 days per week.
The options are:
- Cooking skills
- Home skills *Art
- Performance – music and drama
Each course is once a week for around 5 hours a day. You will be allocated a personal tutor who will support you throughout and on any trips, visits or any other activities whilst you are on the course.
This course will teach you how to:
- Participate effectively in social situations
- Change your attitudes and behaviour to express who you truly are
- Manage the stress that a lack of confidence creates
- Present yourself confidently and assertively, changing the way you interact with others
- Improve your decision making skills and allow you to take control of your life.
- Become more independent *Explore new things
- Take a more active part in their community
- Develop a range of practical and/or creative skills
- Develop social skills and an awareness of others
- Enhance communication and self-advocacy skills
- Begin to determine their own learning through the achievement of personalised learning goals
- Develop confidence and self esteem
Due to the current COVID-19 situation and with health and safety of our students as a priority, we have redesigned this course to include a mixture of classroom-based and online learning.
What areas will I study?
- Improving your confidence *Become more confident
- Improving your social skills
- Developing new interests
- Making new friends *Help you choose your career pathway