Game Art and Animation
The UK games industry continues to grow year on year requiring an ever-expanding workforce. This course provides students with the skills, knowledge and understanding they need to progress into higher education, or other training opportunities within the games and wider creative media industries.
This course would appeal to students who enjoy creating and experimenting with art through traditional and digital practice. Students should have a keen interest in drawing a range of topics and be prepared to participate in performance exploration for animation.
The course develops and understanding of the industry through a range of practical and theoretical projects that provides students with the opportunity to develop and test their creativity in the following ways:
- Explore traditional and digital art techniques by designing and developing characters, props and environments for computer games.
- Explore 2D and 3D animation.
- Experiment with advanced surfacing and material creation.
- Develop a contextual awareness of different perspectives and approaches within art to solve complex problems through practical application.
- Research, plan, manage and develop projects to explore and clarify long term career goals
- Understand job opportunities within games and the wider creative media industry.
What areas will I study?
Students will have the opportunity to use industry standard software which includes but not limited to, Autodesk Maya, Unity 3D, Photoshop, Substance Painter and Blender
Future career opportunities could include:
- 3D character artist for games development
- 3D animator for games and broadcast.
- 2D art and animation for games and design.
- Environment artist for games
- Concept artist