Extended Diploma in Photography, Graphics and Incorporating Drone Technology Level 3
This Level 3 qualification is a specialist course designed to give you the knowledge, understanding and skills for a career in photography, graphics and visual communication. You will learn about the advances of drone technology for digital imaging, the full range of digital camera controls and a variety of photography disciplines such as landscape, still life and portraiture. You will also explore studio photography and lighting, and use a variety of the latest photography software applications that you would use in the photography industry.
Our media courses are awarded by the University of the Arts London (UAL) and are highly respected.
Throughout the course you will be introduced to skills that enable you to work effectively in several industries.
The disciplines covered include;
- Studio photography. Learn how to operate studio lighting to compose and create exciting visual compositions, completion of this unit will prepare you to work in the field
- Location photography. Our students are encouraged to prepare for work in the field, location photography includes looking at and attempting to capture a variety of subjects outside of the studio
- Vocational Context. Why do we take photographs? The purpose and intent vary from person to person and environment to environment; vocational context encourages learners to look at the narrative associated with an image. Was that photo edited to look like that? What is the intention of the photographer? What has been excluded from the image and why?
- Graphics. A detailed introduction to the digital darkroom, this includes a look at Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Lightroom. Students will be given information on how to use industry-standard software to create and deliver graphics of the highest standard
- Drone Technology. An introduction to the basics of drone technology as a method of creating aerial photographs
- Portfolio design and presentation. Preparation for your university or job application, you will be guided on how to best present your work, what will make you employable? What will encourage your ideal university to offer you a place on the course of your choice? In this assignment, you will be shown the best way to prepare your work for the next stage in your life education or otherwise.
If you have ever dreamed about a career in photography then this is the course for you. 79.9 percent of creative graduates find work in their field of choice (https://luminate.prospects.ac.uk/what-do-creative-arts-graduates-do) as opposed to 74.3 percent average for all graduates it’s fair to say that the creative field is booming! So if you have a passion for fashion photography, street photography, documentary or photojournalism, fine art photography or graphic design this is the course for you! Photography students on completion of our course have also gone on to start their own business. A former student from our Level 2 qualification has gone on to start his own non-profit organisation. If you dream about being the next Rankin or Andreas Gursky, enrol in this course and allow South and City College to ignite your passion and enthusiasm for the subject.
Students from our course have gone on to attend Falmouth University, Nottingham Trent, Staffordshire, Manchester Metropolitan, Birmingham City University and many others. Your lecturers are all industry professionals with many years’ experience in their relevant fields.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation and with health and safety of our students as a priority, we have redesigned this course to include a mixture of classroom-based and online learning.
What areas will I study?
- Studio photography
- Location photography
- Image manipulation using Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Dreamweaver, Flash MX and Finalcut Pro, all of which will be used on both Windows and Mac
- Professional practice in art and design
- Developing ideas and managing projects
- Drone technology - digital images