Motor Sport Diploma
Put your career on the starting grid with our motorsport course. Gain experience of working on and building race prepared cars in our fully equipped workshops and gain the inside line on motorsport theory in the classroom.
If you have a desire to progress into a career in motor sport then this is the course for you. The college has established its own race team for you to gain real experience of supporting and working on race prepared cars in the fast paced world of motor sport. Visits to race meetings and partners of the college will form a key aspect of your learning experience and the course is designed to provide essential knowledge for specialist competition maintenance and repair technicians.
Visits to race meetings and have-a-go, will form a key part of your course as you create a portfolio of work that will put your motorsport dreams “on track”. You'll gain an industry recognised IMI qualification that will open a variety of doors to the automotive industry and beyond.
There is an emphasis on acquiring practical skills, and assessment includes the demonstration of these skills, through observation and questioning. A portfolio of supporting evidence is also required. You will gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace as well as essential skills for specialist completion maintenance and repair technicians.
What areas will I study?
The qualification includes the understanding of materials, fabrication, tools and measuring, and the following areas of knowledge of motorsport:
- Event regulations
- Engine mechanical, lubrication & cooling system units and components
- Fuel, ignition, air & exhaust system units and components
- Inspection of a vehicle during competition
- Removal and replacement of chassis units and components
- Removal and replacement of electrical units and components
- Removal and replacement transmissions, driveline units and components
You will also have the opportunity to gain additional knowledge in:
- Electrically propelled vehicle hazard management
- Routine maintenance and repair activities on electrically propelled vehicles
- Electrically propelled vehicle system repair and replacement
- Inspection, repair and replacement of high performance light vehicle tyres
- Inspection, repair and replacement of motorcycle tyres
- An introduction to low carbon technologies in the automotive industry
You will also demonstrate a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working successfully within the motorsport environment.