Light Vehicle Systems Maintenance Diploma
This qualification is designed to engage 14-19 year olds who are interested in learning about the maintenance of motor vehicles and the various roles that are available in the retail motor industry.
This qualification has a practical approach to assessment and includes many visual questioning techniques, to provide stimulating and interesting learning. The learning outcomes are assessed by a variety of task-based assessments, observations, oral questioning and online assessments.
This diploma is currently suitable as the vocational subject-based learning component of Foundation Learning.
As part of your programme you may be expected to do English and maths.
What areas will I study?
Some of the subjects you will study include:
Tyres, brakes, steering and suspension systems fault diagnosis and routine maintenance:
- Tyre wear patterns that indicate faults in other systems, types and routine maintenance for wheel bearings, faults on braking and suspension systems, operating principles and routine maintenance for steering systems
- Inspection and service of motor vehicles and all related components such as, oil filters, air filters, fuel filters, pollen filters, belts, spark plugs and glow plugs
Engine fault diagnosis and routine maintenance:
- Faults for spark ignition and diesel engines, mechanical, cooling and internal heating and air filtration systems, adjustment methods for fuel injected and carburettor systems, diesel injection systems, operation and common faults for electronic and conventional ignition systems
Transmission fault diagnosis and routine maintenance:
- Common faults in final drives and drive shaft systems, operating principles and routine maintenance for automatic and manual transmission and clutch systems
Electrical and electronic systems fault diagnosis and routine maintenance:
- Common faults and testing methods for battery charging, starting and auxiliary systems
Where possible work experience opportunities will be arranged and you will have the opportunity to work on a group project.