The creative economy in the UK employs 2 million people and has grown by 20% in the last 5 years. The West Midlands creative economy has grown by nearly 30% in the last 5 years and employment in this vibrant and exciting area has grown from 80,000 to 120,000 since 2011. Our music courses at Digbeth and at Bournville College are perfect if you want a career in music performance, production or event support.
Why study music with us?
- Our facilities are amongst the best in the country - we have our own 600 capacity working venue - The Crossing @ Digbeth, as well as fully equipped studios and specialist music technology and rehersal rooms equipped with industry standard hardware and software.
- Our tutors have vast experience in the industry, from music performance to festival management and research, so you can be sure you're learning from the best.
- Excellent industry links and links with visiting artists, production specialist and successful ex-students
- We run a student crew where students gain real world experience working on events and there are many external opportunities for performers and technicians alike, including this year's Free Radio Live concert.
- A range of music performance, technology and event support courses from level 1 right up to honours degree level 6, with our Higher Education programmes delivered in association with Birmingham City University. We also offer short and part-time courses in specialist disciplines.
This is what James Burgess, BA (Hons) Popular Music, had to say:
“South and City College exceeded my expectations in many ways. The first thing that was very apparent to me was the professionalism and relevance to working in the actual music industry the course had. This is an area that many academic courses lack, in my previous experience. As a working musician I meet a lot of ex South and City students on the local scene.
The facilities are advanced compared to many other institutions in the country, mainly because of the on-site venue. I was able to gain work from both studio demo recordings and YouTube videos, all of which were made to a professional standard using the course’s facilities completely free. I have been involved with bands that have previously paid over a thousand pounds for similar quality.
Although hard work, the course was very fun at times especially in the practical assessments. The tutors actually joined in some of our practical assessments and it was greatly beneficial to actually perform with people of that level of experience. I also found the one to one instrumental lessons really opened up my mind of how to push the boundaries of my instrument. I also had the opportunity to meet one of my favourite drummers Thomas Lang when he visited to deliver a drum clinic to students and the public.
Towards the end of my course, due to working commitments I couldn’t always make it to every session but both tutors Simon Lesley and Nik Wells were more than happy to organise one to one sessions to make sure I was on the right track with my work. I believe that the tutors' accessibility and attitude to helping students was the main reason in me achieving my overall grade of 1st Class Honours.
Overall, the course has been extremely beneficial both practically and academically. I’ve had a brilliant time and developed relationships with many great people. I feel ready to enter the working world with confident knowledge of my skill set.”
- Advanced Sequencing Techniques (College Certificate)
- Advanced Stage Lighting
- B.A.(Hons) Popular Music Practice (top up)
- Digital Consoles: Introduction & Advanced
- Event Production and Management Rockschool Extended Diploma Level 3
- Guitar Maintenance & Set Up
- HND in Popular Music Practice
- Introduction to Live Sound
- Introduction to Stage Lighting
- Live Sound and Event Production Rockschool Diploma Level 3
- Live Sound for Worship
- Mixing and Mastering (College Certificate)
- Monitors & Onstage Sound
- Music and Interactive Media Level 1
- Music and Music Technology Gateway Level 1
- Music BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Performance or Music Production BTEC Subsidiary Diploma Level 3
- Music Performance Rockschool Diploma Level 3
- Music Rockschool Extended Certificate Level 2
- Music Skills & Technology Diploma Gateway Level 2
- Music Technology BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Technology Rockschool Diploma Level 3
- Recording (College Certificate)
- Sequencing (College Certificate)