Applied Science (Biomed Route) BTEC National Extended Diploma
This two-year course will give you an in-depth understanding of biomedical science. It is perfect if you want to pursue a career in the field of science, such as biology, ODP, audiology, paramedic, nursing, pharmacy, biomedical science, food science, psychology and physiotherapy. You will explore a number of fundamental scientific concepts in chemistry, biology and physics.
The study of biomedical science particularly encourages the development of your skills such as evaluation, analysis and synthesis. These skills are developed through the variety of approaches to teaching and learning enabled by the specification.
In particular, the investigative project and contemporary science issues allow you to demonstrate your ability to plan, research, address problems, assimilate data, and draw together and communicate findings.
You will be assessed through assignments, assessed practical work and exams.
What areas will I study?
Mandatory units include:
- Principles and application of science I
- Practical scientific procedures and techniques
- Science investigation skills
- Laboratory techniques and their application
- Principles and application of science II
- Investigative project
- Contemporary issues in science
Optional units include:
- Biomedical science
- Physiology of human body systems
- Human regulation and reproduction
- Genetics and genetic engineering
- Diseases and infections