This qualification is equivalent to 3 A levels and is typically the major qualification in a full two-year study programme. It allows students to specialise in this sector with a view to progression to higher education. There will also be the opportunity to complete a number of coaching qualifications and work experience as part of the programme to make you more employable.
The new specification covers a range of subjects that are current and will prepare you for the sports industry.
The Sport BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma enables students to learn about the theory behind sport in great depth. It gives them the opportunity to gain experience for use in the work place or as a stepping stone to higher education. The variety of subjects gives students the opportunity to study most areas of sport and allows them to decide which field they wish to work towards.
Students are expected to have grade 4's (C's) in English, maths and science. Students are expected to retake GCSE English or maths if grade 4's (C's) are not achieved.
The students will cover a range of units which will be assessed in a number of different ways. Internal assignments: Work-related assignments set and marked by the centre. External Tasks: Practical, work-related tasks, set and marked by Pearson. Written exams: Written answers to practical questions set and marked by Pearson. Synoptic units: Students can demonstrate that they can apply skills, knowledge and techniques learned.
The following units are mandatory within the course:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Fitness training and programming for health sports and well-being
- Professional development in the sports industry
- Sports leadership
- Practical sports performance
- Coaching for sports performance
- Research methods in sport
- Development and provision of sport and physical activity
- Investigating business in sport and active leisure
- Acquiring skill in sport
GCSE English and maths programme is also embedded into this course for those who do not gain a C.
- 4 GCSEs at Grade C (4) or above, one of which must be English Language and Science.
- BTEC First Diploma (Merit or Distinction) together with Grade C (4 ) in English Language.
- All applicants must have a good reference.
Successful completion of the course will enable you to progress onto the Sports Coaching and Development Foundation Degree at Bournville College or progress onto higher education programmes at other institutions, for example Sports Studies, Sports Management or Sports Science. It also opens opportunity for students to apply for work in areas similar to subjects studied such as nutrition.