This course will train you to an advanced level in a wide variety of practical skills, giving you the business knowledge you will need to promote yourself, build your business as a freelancer and manage your finances for a career in TV, film, photography and theatre. You will create a professional portfolio of work that will showcase your technical abilities to future employers.
The freelance hair and makeup industry requires artists who are able to work within a range of media settings. An understanding of each environment and its individual remit is a key component to your success. Whilst you may choose to specialise in future years within a particular field, it is essential to prove yourself and build a reputation within the industry first. Who knows where your career may lead?
Important factors alongside your skill-set are crucial in building your professional reputation. These include commitment, reliability and timekeeping skills as well as the ability to evaluate your work and develop a keen eye for detail. Your ability to communicate effectively with directors, crew, photographers and costume designers, to name a few, is key to your future success in this demanding yet exciting industry.
What areas will I study?
Key areas of study:
- You will develop a range of specialist technical skills and assist in creating accurate hair and makeup styles for different periods in history
- You will develop advanced skills in making and applying prosthetics and castings as well as how to create realistic wounds and special effects
- As well as exploring fashion and catwalk makeup, we will also teach you the skills required to set up and run your own freelance business
- You will explore industry innovations and develop a critical awareness of film genres and design concepts surrounding postiche from a particular area
- You will get the chance to work on your own research project, which is an ideal opportunity to showcase the technical skills you have gained and develop an industry specialism
For practical activities, a uniform and kit will need to be purchased via SCCB at a cost of approximately £200.
What are the entry requirements?
You will need a minimum of 56 UCAS Tariff points to include one or more of the following criteria:
- Level 3 theatrical & media makeup diploma
- Level 3 beauty therapy or hairdressing
- A Level or BTEC art & design, theatre studies, history, performing arts, media/film studies, fashion, photography or costume production
It is essential that applicants have an artistic/creative flair. If your creative qualification is not listed here please contact the Admissions Team directly so that we can confirm whether it can be accepted onto this course.
Non-tariff: SCCB accepts a wide range of Level 3 qualifications not currently on the UCAS tariff, these can include a range of vocational Level 3 diplomas, NVQ qualifications and EU qualifications, many of which are suitable for entry onto our Foundation Degree programme. It is essential that these qualifications are in a related subject area, as listed above. To find out if we accept your qualification for entry please contact the Admissions Team directly.
Work based: We also equally consider applicants who are currently in work and wish to apply to SCCB. To apply, you must currently be in work demonstrating management or supervisory duties for the past 3 years in a relevant industry to the course you are applying for. Your application must include a reference from your current Line Manager supporting your entry to higher education. For further details please contact the Admissions Team directly.
Where can I progress to next?
On successful completion of the Foundation Degree, you can apply for the final year of the BA (Hons) Specialist Hair & Media Makeup degree at University College Birmingham (UCB) or you could move into a wide variety of areas within the specialist hair and media makeup sector. Graduates have gone on to work in the fashion image industry, cosmetics or as a freelance hair and makeup artist.
Graduating with this degree could enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Photographic studios
- Catwalk fashion