This course is ideal for those who are already working in, or training for, a technician role in the areas of heating, BIM, ventilation and air conditioning. The course will provide you with a thorough understanding of the building services sector and you will explore analytical methods, management principles and building services science in depth. You will also gain a thorough understanding of design processes, principles and concepts.
The programme enables learners to build up a firm foundation of knowledge and understanding of the fundamental principles of building services science and technology, which will complement the training that the students have received as technicians within their own companies.
You will develop skills of analysis, synthesis, decision making and the ability to apply fundamental principles to the solution of problems likely to be encountered by the practising technician engineer, within the industry. You will also be able to use computing methods and new technologies with confidence over a range of building services applications and hence respond quickly, effectively and efficiently in a constantly changing technological environment.
- Individual project
- Construction technology
- Science & materials
- Construction practice & management
- Mathematics for construction
- Principles of heating services design & installation
- Principles of ventilation and air conditioning design & installation
- Building information modelling or principles of electrical design & installation
- Group project
- Further mathematics for construction
- Advanced heating, ventilation & air conditioning design & installation or advanced electrical design & installation
- Building management systems
- Alternative methods of construction
- Environmental assessment & monitoring
- Alternative energy systems design & installation
You will need to be aged 18 years or over on or before 31 August of the academic year the course commences.
You must have GCSE maths and English at Grade 4 or above, or an equivalent Level 2 qualification and at least one of the following qualifications:
- BTEC National Extended Diploma in Building Services Engineering with at least pass grades
- BTEC National Certificate in Building Services Engineering (pre-2010) with merit and pass grades
- An Advanced Level GNVQ in Construction (Building Services)
- 120 UCAS points from a minimum of one full A Level in an appropriate subject, for example science, preferably with maths at AS Level or a relevant Level 3 qualification
Alternatively, if you have significant relevant work experience or other professional qualifications, you may be eligible for the course.
To find out more about UCAS points, please visit https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/ucas-undergraduate-entry-requirements
The skills you will learn can improve your confidence to find employment in the building services industry, working as an engineer. You could also progress to the full-time degree in Building Services Engineering to pave the way to a successful career.