The HND Civil Engineering course is underpinned by design principles, science and application of mathematical techniques. You will study a range of modules such as site surveying, structural design and hydraulic principles. You will also gain a thorough understanding of design processes, principles and concepts.
The qualification provides a thorough grounding in the key concepts and practical skills required in the sector, and their national recognition by employers allows progression into employment.
This Level 5 HND in Civil Engineering and the Built Environment is a 2-year, full-time course which aims to prepare and equip you with knowledge, understanding and skills for working within the civil engineering industry in fields such as management.
Following our Higher Education Review in 2015, the Quality Assurance Agency highlights as good practice “The clear focus on student employability and the established links with employers”. Birmingham has some major engineering projects planned for the future such as HS2 and Birmingham's Big City Plan.
Key areas include:
- Individual project (Pearson-set)
- Science & materials
- Construction technology
- Construction information (drawing, detailing, specification) materials
- Construction practice & management
- Mathematics for construction
- Principles of structural design
- Surveying, measuring & setting out
- Group project (Pearson-set)
- Further mathematics for construction
- Geotechnics & soil mechanics
- Advanced structural design
- Environmental assessment & monitoring
- Alternative methods of construction
Learners must be aged 18 years or over on or before 31 August of the academic year that the programme commences.
Students must hold GCSE maths at grade C or equivalent and a minimum of 120 UCAS points which may be gained from the following qualifications:
- Two A Level passes
- One A Level pass and AS level passes in appropriate subjects
- BTEC National Diploma or Extended Diploma
- BTEC National Certificate
- A level 3 Diploma or equivalent such as NVQ, GNVQ, International Baccalaureate, Scottish Certificate of Education
- City and Guilds Technical Baccalaureate
- A recognised (Kitemarked) Access course
- Other relevant international qualifications
This course is suitable for students wanting to work at technician level in the civil engineering sector and for those who wish to continue to study for a full honours degree. Studying for a HND means that you will be awarded a recognised Level 5 qualification, giving you the option to enter employment at this stage or continue your studies.