Foundation Degree in Popular Music (Awarded by Birmingham City University)
This two-year course provides the training and skills necessary for a wide range of careers within the music industry. You will develop understanding of the commercial music sector, study musical output and techniques, and improve your creativity, professionalism and practical musicianship to a level needed for music industry employment. This Foundation Degree is focused on developing the practical and transferable skills required to make you industry-ready.
Awarded by Birmingham City University, this is a high level course with experienced staff and excellent resources. With 3 recording studios, 7 rehearsal rooms, 2 sequencing suites and a 600-capacity working venue on site, you will enjoy the exciting, creative opportunities and supportive environment.
Your principal study can be in performance, music technology, live sound or composition. Additionally the course takes a holistic approach to musical study, with every student developing a broad range of skillsets required to become a successful music professional. Assessments are varied and innovative, and often modelled on real industry practice. You will learn through workshops, lectures, recording sessions, seminars and tutorials. You will study the theory, wider contexts and contemporary issues surrounding the modern day music industry and there will be regular visits from industry experts and artists. You will also develop the musical and creative skills required by a performer, composer or producer, learn how to work well in teams and demonstrate leadership, organisation and decision-making skills. This programme will help you to develop a profile suitable for an artist looking for employment within the music industry and reflect on individual progress as an artist, learning how to improve along the way.
All students receive weekly one-to-one instrumental sessions, delivered by our highly qualified visiting instrumental specialists on vocals, guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards.
What areas will I study?
Modules studied are:
- MIDI, Audio and Studio Techniques (M.A.S.T.)(20 credits)
- Working Live (Performance or Live Sound)(20 credits)
- Understanding Style(20 credits)
- Show Me The Money (Music Industry)(20 credits)
- Technical Development (Instrument, Music Technology or Composition)(20 credits)
- Creative Portfolio(20 credits)
- Production Cycle (creative group commission)(20 credits)
- Personal Development) (20 credits)
- Technical Development 2) (20 credits)
- Showcase/Product) (20 credits)
- Professional Music Practice (modelled work experience)(40 credits)