At South and City College we support students with SEND to transition into college, during their time at college and into adulthood. If you have any questions that are not answered please do not hesitate to contact the Admissions team on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How will the college know what support I need?

There are several ways we identify the support needs for young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. For those who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) this may be through liaison with school or your local authority. For young people without an EHCP it may be through application form, interview, or the enrolment form. It is important that you tell us as early as possible so that we can advise you and others on what support is needed. There are also opportunities for you to discuss your needs with your tutor throughout the year.

How is the decision made about the type and the amount of support I receive?

Young people with an EHCP or identified learning difficulty or disability will be supported according to the requirements outlined in the EHC plan or through an assessment by one of our Additional Learning Support team. If you do not have an EHCP a support plan will then be drawn up and shared with you, support staff and tutors.

Will I get 1:1 support?

Yes, if your EHCP states you require 1:1 support. The aim of all support is to promote and develop your independent skills and prepare you for next steps and adulthood. At college, 1:1 support is not always one student with one member of staff. It may be one member of staff in a group where several students require support and the support worker supports with each as required. The type of support will be decided on an individual basis.

How will the curriculum be matched to my needs?

All lessons are planned to make sure you get the help you need to make good progress and become more independent. The Additional Learning Support team work closely with tutors to ensure reasonable adjustments can be made on an individual basis.

What specialist services and expertise are available at college?

Our Teaching and Additional Learning Support Team are well trained in:

  • Autism
  • Dyslexia, Dyscalculia & Dyspraxia
  • Sensory impairments
  • Learning difficulties
  • Software is available on student computers to read out information on screen
  • Assistive technology – JAWs
  • Laptops with specialist software can be made available to students who require them
  • Sign language support
  • In class support
  • Mentoring

What if you do not have the expertise in college to meet my needs?

We also work closely with external agencies to meet the needs of young people as appropriate. These include:

  • Visual Impairment Team
  • Hearing Impairment Team
  • Autism
  • Speech and Language Support
  • Educational Psychology Service

I want to know what other options there are in Birmingham and how the Local Authority can support me:

Birmingham Local Authority has a section on its website where there is full information about the local offer for students with special educational needs or disabilities.

Who can I go to for help and advice about the assessment or Education Health and Care Plan process?

Please contact SENDIASS, which is part of Birmingham City Council and offers impartial, confidential advice and guidance to parents and young people who are going through SEN assessments.