General English with Academic Skills
South & City College is a member of both the British Council and English UK. This English course for international students is 21 hours per week, for students at intermediate, upper intermediate or advanced level (IELTS 4.5 to 7.5 or CEFR B1, B2 and C1) who want to develop their English skills for progression to university or for better career opportunities.
This course will improve your English language skills and support your development of academic skills, preparing you for further study. It will help you to improve skills such as:
- Writing assignments
- Taking part in discussions
- Note taking in lectures
- Reading academic texts
- Exam techniques
- Greater accuracy of grammar
- IT based learning
- Presentation skills
Term dates are available on our website. Timetables may be subject to minor changes. Our maximum class size is 20 students though average class size is usually much smaller. Course length is dependent on your visa but we expect students to attend a minimum of 6 weeks.
Class times are Monday to Friday 09.15-12.15 and Monday & Tuesday 13.45-15.15.
Students have the option to take the Cambridge Preliminary English Test (PET), Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE) or the Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE). The exam fees are: PET £103 FCE £100 CAE £144.
What areas will I study?
This course continues to develop your general speaking, listening, reading and writing skills to a higher level whilst preparing you for vocational/academic study or career progression.
We will provide you with:
- An initial assessment to identify your starting point
- An individual learning plan which will be personalised to your individual needs and future targets and focus on the main areas you need to improve
- Regular assessments, tutorials and reviews to track your progress
- Embassy student progress reports
- College Certificate following course completion and the option to take Cambridge qualifications
Cambridge English qualifications are optional and would involve an accreditation fee. Fees do not include accommodation.