If you are under 19, your education is mostly free. If there are fees for your course we may be able to help. To help with the costs of travel, books, trips and more. The Discretionary Learner Support Fund gives financial help to students who may not be able to start or complete a course at college without it. The purpose of the fund is to help with travel to College, Uniform/Equipment, Tuition Fees and Childcare.
For 16-18 we also provide free travel you must still apply for funding and criteria does apply.
We understand that last year was difficult for all students and the equipment and support we provided was appreciated. This year, in order to help students to continue to access their studies and achieve their qualification, we are offering the following.
- A Levels – Limited quantity of laptops are available to help you access your studies from home.*
- Business – Study packs which will help with your course.*
- Computing, Digital and IT– Limited quantity of laptops are available to help you access your studies from home.*
- Media / Photography – As part of the course we can provide you with a camera*
- Fashion – A sewing machine and materials you can use at home*
- Catering, Beauty and Hair – Course materials and equipment you can keep as part of your studying and your future career*
- Music performance – Personal microphone and ear defenders*
- Music production – Professional headphones for you to use during your study and for use at home*
- Art – Art materials for use in the college and part of your home study*
- Construction – PPE equipment and tools*
- Engineering – PPE equipment and tools*
- Game Art & Animation - Art equipment for you to use during your study and for use at home*
- Games Design and Development - Graphic tablets for you to use during your study and for use at home*
All of the above is subject to meeting LSF criteria. Funding is limited, so early applications are encouraged.
Please see our Money Matters page
Please enquire at enrolment.
If you live in a household with low income or on benefits, you may be eligible to apply for Learner Support Fund. This can help with expenses such as childcare, fees equipment.
Travel support maybe available to those who meet the eligibility criteria. Student services will be able to help you. Please contact via email https://youtu.be/IY_E4XGGRr0
This scheme financially supports 16-18 young learners who face the greatest barriers to learning.
The defined vulnerable groups are students who are:
- in care of the local authority
- care leavers
- receiving Income Support, or Universal Credit (In your own name) because they are financially supporting themselves or financially supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them and living with them such as a child or partner
- receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right
Childcare - Care to Learn
If you are under 20 when you begin your studies and use registered childcare you may be able to get assistance with childcare costs from Care to Learn (Please note external funding is subject to change). Care to Learn can be contacted on 0300 303 8610.
We have these YouTube videos that will also help you apply for funding.
For progressing learners
There may be other funds to help you with travel, childcare and hardship dependent on eligibility.
- Student finance (Advanced Learner Loan)
- Care to Learn (under 20 years)
All funding is subject to availability
We also have a walkthrough with regards to funding.
We have a walkthrough with regards to funding.
We also have a video which will explain what you need to do to apply for funding.