Who can help?

We are proud at South and City for the excellent support we provide our students. The staff throughout the whole college are experienced, trained and most of all, there to help you. There are a number of people in the college who can provide you with support during your time at the college:

Your tutors

Your personal tutor, course director and other teaching tutors that are involved in your learning are all there as a first point of contact should you have any issues or questions. Don't be afraid to talk to your tutors if you are having problems with your studying.

Student Services

Student Services gives students access to a range of specialist advisors so that you can be sure you are getting expert help from the right people.

Welfare & Counselling

We know that sometimes students face problems, are looking for help or simply need information. The welfare and counselling service is there to make sure that there is always someone to turn to. Our team works alongside a series of external agencies to make sure that you have access to expert advice and support when you need it.


The careers team provide help and support to higher education students.

  • Planning your career – an individual guidance interview can help you explore all the options and plan your next steps.
  • UCAS and higher education queries– help with everything from preparing the perfect personal statement for top up degrees and HE finance.
  • Job search skills – for guidance and tips on CV writing, application forms or even a practice interview to prepare yourself for the real thing.

Additional Learning Support
All of our university level programmes are designed to develop your skills, including study skills. If you have an additional learning need our experienced team can provide information on how to apply for a disabled student’s allowance to support you in your studies.

You may be eligible for some support if you have

  • learning difficulty, for example dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD
  • mental health condition like anxiety or depression
  • physical disability, for example if you’re partially sighted or have to use crutches
  • long-term health condition such as cancer, chronic heart disease or HIV

For more information on the disabled students allowance and your eligibility can be found at https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas

Support for Disabilities

The college has dedicated disability advisers who will provide information, advice and practical support to students with any form of disability to help you succeed in your studies:

  • Advice and help with applications for Disabled Students' Allowances
  • Advice, screening and diagnostic referrals for students who think they may be dyslexic or who have other specific learning difficulties
  • Advice and guidance to your faculty about support for exams, assessments, teaching sessions and access to course materials and information
  • Information about campus accessibility
  • Liaison with external agencies such as social services

Libraries – The college work closely with student services to make the services as accessible as possible. There is a range of equipment, software and other items in the libraries to help users with mobility difficulties, visual and aural.

Students' Union

As a student of both the college you are entitled to be a member of the Students' Union. The students' union at the college has a volunteer Executive Committee made up of current students who are elected by the student body. Their purpose is to support students at the college, often through social events, representation and campaigns.

Student Representatives

Student Representatives are students who gather opinion from their fellow students, and represent their views at various meetings. Representatives also feedback the outcome of these meetings to students in order to help improve the quality of their experience at South and City College Birmingham. They are a link between the Students' Union and students on their course, keeping students up to date with what the Students' Union is doing as well as informing the Union of any concerns regarding their course. As a Student Rep you are in place to ensure that any student, no matter what course or campus, can have their say on issues affecting their education.

Support for Learning

learningStudents are encouraged to identify and, with guidance, to reflect on their own learning needs and are offered support as appropriate to those needs.
Personal Development Planning (PDP) is a process undertaken by students to reflect upon their own learning, performance and achievement and to plan for their personal, educational and career development. It will enable you to articulate the skills you are developing in order to open up opportunities for the future.

Where specific learning needs are identified (e.g. Where a disability is declared,) the course team will liaise with Student Services to ensure that the requirements of the statement are met.

Students are encouraged to identify and, with guidance, to reflect on their own learning needs and are offered the following support as appropriate to meet those needs:

  • A course induction programme
  • Induction to learning resources
  • Group project briefing sessions for students embarking upon project work, followed by regular meetings with supervisors at which progress is monitored.
  • Individual tutorials
  • Online resources (Moodle)
  • Study skills support
  • Student Handbook with information relating to the course, modules, assessment and support
  • Access to college resources such as IT facilities and the Library.
  • Access to Student Services, including those offered by the careers service, financial; advisers and counselling service