Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes
This course is 25 hours per week for international students who have a conditional offer for university with one of our partner universities but do not currently meet the English language requirements.
The aim of the course is to develop academic language and skills needed for study in higher education establishments.
We have a range of Pre-sessional courses which allow progression within the range of IELTS 4.0 to IELTS 7.5 (CEFR: B1-C1).
This course is designed to prepare you for higher level study at university in the UK. It will help you to improve your academic language and skills. It will help you to communicate more effectively in academic situations across the four language skills areas: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Amongst other things you will learn:
- Academic writing
- Research and critical thinking
- Lecture note taking and application of learning
- Formal communication
- Independent study
- Interactive discourse and reflection
Class times are Monday to Friday 09.15-12.15 and Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 13.45-15.15.
Students have the option to take the Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE) or the Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE). The exam fee for FCE is £100 and the fee for CAE is £144.
What areas will I study?
We will provide you with:
- An initial assessment to identify your starting point
- An individual learning plan which will be personalised to your individual needs and future targets and focus on the main areas you need to improve
- Embassy student progress reports
- Regular assessments, tutorials and reviews to monitor your progress. To successfully complete the pre-sessional course you will need to meet the entry requirements of our partner universities. This will involve completing a set of course assessments and sitting a contributory final assessment.
Teaching methods will include:
- IELTS style weekly tests
- Group discussions and debates
- Ongoing assessment progress reviews.
25 hours per week is the required in class tuition for successful completion. Students will be expected to self-study for additional hours as negotiated with the course tutor. Our maximum class size is 20 students though average class size is usually much smaller.