Award in Education & Training Level 3 Level: 3 | Location: Bournville Campus
Award in English for Literacy and Language Teaching Level 3 Level: 3 | Location: Fusion Centre 2
Cambridge Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA) Level: 5 | Location: Digbeth Campus
DET in Post-Compulsory Education and Training (PCET) (Awarded by Birmingham City University) Level: 5 | Location: Bournville Campus
Our teacher training courses will prepare you for a career in teaching or training. Whatever your subject specialism and whatever your previous experience, this is the chance to gain that teaching qualification you have been thinking about.
Why study Teaching with us?
We offer a university certified teacher training qualification. If you are interested in teaching young people, individuals with additional needs or adult learners then this is the course for you. The PCET Diploma in Education and Training Level 5 is a part-time 2-year qualification offering you the chance to train as a teacher for 14+ year olds onwards.
- You will be taught during the evenings, once a week, offering you the opportunity to continue working whilst you are training
- You are expected to have a teaching placement of at least half a day per week or more, so you can put into practice the up-to-date teaching knowledge and methods that you learn
- You will be well supported by a mentor during placement and a teacher will be there to support you through your Level 5 qualification
- As an SCCB student on the PCET DET Level 5, you will also have dual status as a Birmingham City University (BCU) student giving you access to the campuses, facilities and online resources the university has to offer
- You will have the opportunity to attend teaching network events and have access to guest speaker sessions at BCU during your time as a trainee with us
- All assignments are ICT-based which enables you to further develop your own digital skills and enhances your employability
- Funding can be gained through Student Finance England
For a teacher training qualification at a lower level, we offer a Level 3 Award in Education and Training which is a 10-week short course and an introduction to teaching and training.
Your future in Teaching
Progression to a Master’s Degree with Birmingham City University is available once you have passed the 2-year course. In addition, if you want to work in schools, you can complete the QTLS qualification giving you complete teaching status.