At South and City College Birmingham, we welcome students from all over the world and from many different backgrounds. 

As a student, we understand you have your dreams, needs and challenges, which are personal to you. We understand this and will help you to achieve your personal goals.

In UK law, all students under the age of 18 are classed as children. Therefore, students who are 16-18 years old must follow an additional set of rules to ensure their safety and wellbeing during the time they spend with us. Students will be in an adult environment inside and outside classes, meaning the majority of students in classes are adults and parents/guardians of 16-18 year olds should be aware of this.

International office

We recognise it can be difficult living in a new country and we are here to support you every step of the way. Our dedicated international team will always be on hand, from your initial enquiry and throughout your time in the UK.

Throughout the application process we will offer you support with things such as finding accommodation and what to expect when you arrive in the UK. At your enrolment appointment we will answer any questions you may have and help you to get settled.

The team will be on hand throughout your course, available on the helpdesk at Digbeth Campus and can direct you to other sources of support available at the college or externally where appropriate.

The team will also help with letters, police registrations and council tax to name a few.

Your safety

The college provides a safe learning environment and premises with first aid trained staff, fire safety precautions, CCTV cameras and website restriction filters. All of our staff at South and City College are enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Services) checked and are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students under the age of 18. All staff and volunteers share this commitment. Student Services staff are available to offer support and discuss any issues that students may encounter while they are studying with us.

For under 18-year-old students, attendance in classes is strictly monitored by the teachers and Heads of School. In the event of absence, the student’s parents, guardians or nominated representative will be contacted within the first hour of the absence. The student’s parents, guardians or nominated representative must inform the International office about any planned absences beforehand.

Your tutors

In addition to support from the International Office, every student at the College has a personal tutor. It is their job to help you with any support you may need whilst on your course.

Our teachers are all highly qualified teachers at the college with many years of experience. Many have taught overseas and so understand the challenges of learning a new language and integrating into a new and different culture. They all take part in an ongoing programme of teacher development which means they are always learning the latest methods to ensure language-learning success. Our teachers know what it takes to help students to improve , learn the skills they need to be successful in the worlds of education and work and develop the techniques required to pass key exams. They will be with you every step of the way during your course.

Your progress

You will have regular tutorials with your teacher to talk about your progress and set short-term goals. You will also have regular progress tests and assessments so you can see how much you have learned and the improvement you have made. The assessments will assess your general, functional and academic knowledge.

Support with disabilities

Please make any additional support needs known to us as part of your application so we can ensure we can support you throughout your studies here. All our campuses are accessible and we have a dedicated team of staff whose job is to help you with any support needs you may have e.g. dyslexia.


When you have accepted a place on a course you will need to think about where you are going to live. We understand it can be a daunting experience when you are coming to study in a foreign country, especially if it’s your first time living away from home. We therefore try to provide as much support as possible to make it a smooth transition for you. The international team will provide you with information about the different accommodation options in Birmingham. You will need to consider a number of things, including:

  • Your budget
  • Your accommodation preference
  • Your journey to college – how long will it take and what kind of transport will you use

There are three main types of accommodation available in Birmingham:

  • Halls of residence (£140-£160 per week)
  • Homestay – living with a family (£120-£170 per week)
  • Student house (£110-£140 per week)

All students under the age of 18 must stay in accommodation that is booked through South and City College Birmingham for the full length of their course.  This is either in homestay accommodation with our own host families or with our partner provider Hosts International. Students placed in homestay accommodation must return to their homestay at designated times in the evening. Students under the age of 18 cannot stay unsupervised in a hotel or guest house. The only exception to this would be if the student’s parents or guardians provide suitable alternative accommodation. These arrangements need to be confirmed in writing and authorised by the International office.

The college does not own or endorse any residential accommodation. The prices listed above are a rough guide. When you are ready to explore your options in more detail please contact us for a list of local accommodation providers. Please note that the college does not accept any responsibility in relation to the actions of the accommodation providers who operate independently to the college.

See LUNA Students here

Emergency Situations

All students under the age of 18 are issued with a 24-hour emergency contact number. The emergency contact number for international students is 07960 619 600. This number is also available to students’ parents or guardians. Students need to provide the International office with next of kin details and a 24-hour contact number for their parents or guardians or for a nominated representative based in the UK.

Parental Consent 

Students under 18 parents and guardians are required to sign consent forms and a parental declaration form and inform International office of any medical conditions affecting the student.

Please see our parental consent form below:

16-17 Consent form